Healthy, Fun Kid Lunch
My son’s daycare serves lunch to the kids, but I always send his lunch to be able to control the quality of ingredients and sugar content of the food. I also want to make sure I send him with a balanced lunch that has protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats.
So, what I like to do is to look at the calendar for what they are serving and make him something that is a version of what other kids would be having. It is fun for me and makes food fun for him.
One day, the school was having Sloppy Joe french fries. Here is my SUPER SIMPLE and healthier take on that kid friendly meal.
- 1/2 cup meat- finely diced rotisserie chicken, ground beef, ground turkey
- plate full of oven fries cooked in just olive oil and sea salt
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup sugar free ketchup – Brand options: good food for good, tessamae’s, primal kitchen
- Cook meat and chop. Measure out 1/2 cup.
- Cook fries per the directions on the bag.
- Mix the meat with the ketchup in a bowl.
- Top the fries with the saucy meat mixture.
- Serve, or pack it up to send to school with some veggies.