On hair mineral analysis tests, I can see how calcium is being used in the body. For some, they do not have enough bioavailable calcium. For others, they also have too much bioUNavailable calcium, or calcium their body cannot use. In children, when their bodies cannot use calcium properly, they do not develop strong teeth and bones. We can actually help our children have greater bone density, more defense against cavities, and wider jaws (no braces!!!) through the magical vitamin, vitamin K2. For adults, vitamin K2 also helps puts calcium where it belongs, which prevents osteoporosis, heart attacks and strokes.
For my father, he had what is called a Frank’s sign, which is a line on the earlobe. This is a physical sign that the artery in the neck is getting clogged with calcium plaque. He also needs lots of selenium in his body to support immunity and detoxification. Therefore, my recipe combo of natto and cornbread is perfect for him. Natto is the best food source of vitamin K2, and blue corn is a great source of selenium. Sardines and blue corn chips are great sources as well. Natto is an acquired taste so for kids I typically recommend this supplement.
Adding meat to the chili also supports silica levels, which help with heart health. A physical sign of a silica deficiency is vertical lines on the side of the face. In general, the heart needs fire element foods per Traditional Chinese Medicine. So, the spices in chili are great for that.
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 32 oz natto black beans
- 3-4 rainbow carrots, diced
- 2 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup firmly coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped white onion (sauteed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or bone broth
- Toppings: cheese and sour cream
- Saute carrots and onions.
- Brown meat.
- Add in other ingredients, and let simmer.
- Serve, and top with sour cream and cheese.
Blue Corn Bread
You can find blue corn meal on Amazon here.
- 1 cup blue corn meal
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature (or 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.